Sunday, January 28, 2007

Attorney's are not marketers


Apprentice is amazing. Not amazing in like "wow, that is great television!" amazing; but more along the lines of "wow, how the fuck are these people the top of the business food chain?" wow. Case in point is the week's loser (I am not an avid watcher of the show - I missed the last two episodes) Marisa who is an attorney. My regard for the bar has been diminished.

The task simple. Make a new chicken bowl for El Pollo Loco, market and sell the hell out of it. Most sales win. Marisa was in charge of marketing. Her idea? Two chickens on a busy intersection waving in business. That was vetoed by the team. Her other idea? Oh wait, did she mention the chickens?

Her one dimensionality would scare the crap out of me if she was defending me, or if I was her lead prosecutor. "The case has to be argued this way." I can hear her whining repeatedly like a neighborhood four year old.

She kept saying the "chickens were an out of the box idea" except when the idea is vetoed where is the rest of the marketing plan and strategy? This is a slam dunk challenge - a softball - you get traffic to the store and then you close with a good pitch. One, two, done. But she had no backup. Once the dancing fowl were vetoed she tanked. No balloons, no banners, no handouts and fliers, nothing.

On the other hand, maybe she is a research type attorney who's one dimensional approach gets to the details that wins cases. I doubt it. Watching this ineptitude makes me think that I should be president of the world, or at least the Donald's apprentice.

No comments: