Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Personal Motivation

My wife thinks I'm never listening. She says it all the time, "You're not even listening!" or "It doesn't matter because you're not going to hear this anyway." Some times she is definitely correct. I can't do two things at once. If I try to read email and hold a conversation - forget it - you can tell in a heart beat. That's my mea culpa.

But, some times she is wrong. I like to think its more than "some times" but that is a point that she and I can argue later. Some times, I am listening. And most of the time what she is saying makes sense. Last night she said something to the effect of "you don't need all of those motivational books, we [her and my son] she be enough [motivation] for you." Those aren't her exact words, I have a terrible memory for things that I hear vs. what I read.

But it struck a chord. While reading Napoleon Hill et. al is very helpful and inspiring, there is NOTHING more inspiring in the world than coming home at the end of the day to see my wife and my son. It truly is the best feeling in the world. And for that split second everything is perfect. Nothing matters, there are no worries, it is pure, simple joy. That is what I need to constantly remember - I can have that feeling any time I want, simply by walking in my front door. What a powerful thought.

I am going to capture that thought in my head and use it as my reserve from now on. I'm going to continue to read and learn and build from the foundation of the great writers, thinkers, and doers, but I am going to rely more on that "walk through the door" feeling to push me along. It is the best thing this world has to offer.

No comments: