Monday, March 26, 2007

Action

With all of the books that I've been reading lately there is one theme that definitely sticks out: the glory and success goes to those that take action. And not just any action, but a concerted, focused effort towards a well defined goal. It is so simple that its amazing that not everyone has figured it out; and frankly, I can't believe it took me this long, but I can already feel it working on my life.

Just by defining what I want and making a plan to get there, coupled with the desire to finish the task has me moving forward much more quickly than I have in the last few years. It feels like I've been sailing on a calm day and suddenly some wind has picked up at my back, filled the sails and I'm moving forward at a nice clip. I look forward to getting more wind in to those sails, and increasing the pace.

I've noticed that action with out the plan is wasted, scattered action. I need to take the 5 minutes, or 5 hours, and write the plan - personal strategy - and then begin to execute. With no road map any road looks good and I quickly get frustrated. If I simply lay out a path, no matter how rough it seems I have a first step complete and a recognizable milestone up ahead to shoot for. Once you have that you are ready to get moving.

I know that by building rough plans, refining them as I go and working towards completing them with out procrastination that I will achieve far more in 2007 than I have in the last few years combined. I can't wait.

1 comment:

Grimmus Brown said...

What if I am too lazy to write the action plan?

Oops, didn't see Friday's post.