Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Any Road

If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there. - Anon.

The world has the habit of making room for the man whose words and actions show he knows where he is going - Napoleon Hill

Every book that I have read about self-improvement, business improvement or any other type of book that talks about how to improve a situation always starts with a defined end state. What is the goal of all of this work and exertion. If you don't know it, can't see it in your head, and don't have it clearly defined, there is no possible way that you can work efficiently towards it.

And with all I know, I still don't know enough to have my personal plan written. I don't recall my end state that I am striving for. I have written it before, but it has spent too much time in a desk drawer for it to come clearly to my head. I need to rewrite it, post it up where I can clearly see it every day, and make it a living document that I revise occasionally to keep in tune with my desires.

In Michael Gerber's E-Myth Revisited he talks about having a "primary aim" which is a broader life-goal that should help steer the efforts of your life, your work, and the business you own. He contends that if you don't know what you want, how can your business give it to you? It is so true. If you don't know each morning what you are waking up to accomplish any path that suits your fancy for the day will work. In the end you'll walk in circles, sideways, backwards, all the while wondering "Why aren't I getting anywhere in life?" when the answer is clearly "I have no where I'm trying to get to."




No comments: