Monday, April 23, 2007

Overcoming Fear

Fear, the worst of all enemies, can be effectively cured by forced repetition of acts of courage. - Napoleon Hill

I love this statement - the truth in it is astounding. I recall the fear I had, and sometimes still have at standing up for myself. A small act of courage perhaps, but no easy act for me. When I was younger my mom fought all my battles for me; this lead to me ducking many difficult situations later in life because I was incapable of effectively dealing with them. I never had to in the past.

I still get uncomfortable in confrontations, but I am less worried about the outcome now. Why? Because my wife forced me to repeatedly act with courage in sticking up for myself and our family. She doesn't let me get pushed around, but instead of fighting the battles for me she forces me to stand up for myself. I love her so much for her actions. She has helped me diminish the fear of confrontation and honesty by forcing repetition on me. It is the best medicine.

Fear will always be there, but if you can force yourself to overcome it by repeatedly engaging in acts of courage you will be able to diminish its hold on you and relegate it to one of those fleeting emotions that you have sound control over.

No comments: